China on Tuesday reiterated its stance on the trade friction with the US, saying the country is ready to take decisive measures if the US insists on moving against the tide.
Hua Chunying, spokesperson of Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, made the remarks hours after the US Department of Commerce initiated a denial order prohibiting US companies from exporting technology to Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE on Tuesday.
The ban came as the US side claimed the Shenzhen-based company had violated a previous settlement by punishing its employees for allegedly making illegal shipments to Iran and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
If the US continues its recklessness and willfulness and insists on moving against the tide, China will take decisive measures and win the battle for multilateralism and free trade, said Hua.
It’s not only for defending Chinese just and lawful rights and interests, but also to safeguard the rule of the world’s multilateral trade system, Hua added.
On the same day, Chinese Ministry of Commerce (MoC) has also made a comment on the denial order, saying it will closely observe developments, and is prepared to take necessary measures to safeguard the interests of Chinese companies overseas.
The MoC, in a statement on its website, added further that it hopes the US deals with the matter rationally and in accordance with the law.
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce also announced on Tuesday that China will impose provisional anti-dumping duties on grain sorghum imported from the US, amid escalating trade tensions between the two countries after the US President Donald Trump threatened to levy additional tariffs worth 100 billion US dollars on Chinese imports earlier this month.
Starting April 18, China will collect cash deposits from companies importing US sorghum.
China launched an anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigation into imports of sorghum from the US on February 4, 2018.
The ministry said the investigation is still ongoing.